   Case sensitivity

  • From: "Szegedi, Attila" <szegedi@scriptum.hu>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 14:51:41 +0200

I wonder if the official XML spec expresses the case sensitivity of element
names?

Quick searching for "case" and "sensitive" in
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210 reveals no explicit mentioning.
There are some implicit statements regarding other names, i.e. for language
codes: "Note that these values, unlike other names in XML documents, are
case insensitive." This would imply that other names ARE case sensitive,
however this is no clear expression of case sensitivity.

The document referred to as [Clark] mentions the case sensitivity, but its
status is NOTE, so I cannot take it as part of the official spec.

This is important, as a collegue of mine just implemented a component that
treats element names in a case-insensitive manner. When I told him XML is
case sensitive, he replied that he didn't find anything on that in the spec.
Seemingly, he's right.

Attila.