   Re: Case sensitivity

  • From: Amy Lewis <amyzing@talsever.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 10:04:45 -0400

Keep in mind that the XML spec is an absolute *model* of terseness.  If
you skim it, you'll get zapped ... it's better to use something like
Tim Bray's annotation, if you want to make certain that you understand
all the implications.

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 02:51:41PM +0200, Szegedi, Attila wrote:
>I wonder if the official XML spec expresses the case sensitivity of element
>names?

Near the top, section 1.2 Terminology, definition of the term "match".

>Quick searching for "case" and "sensitive" in
>http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210 reveals no explicit mentioning.

try "case folding"

>This is important, as a collegue of mine just implemented a component that
>treats element names in a case-insensitive manner. When I told him XML is
>case sensitive, he replied that he didn't find anything on that in the spec.
>Seemingly, he's right.

Nope.  And he should have read *much* more carefully if he's going to
be producing a parser ....

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis          alicorn@mindspring.com          amyzing@talsever.com
Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for the lead role in a cage?