   Re: XML - how to group

  • From: Eric Bohlman <ebohlman@netcom.com>
  • To: Kiat Soh <billkiat@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 13:17:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Kiat Soh wrote:

> Hi. I am trying to come up with an XML interest
> group for my company.
> I have thought of dividing the SIG into groups
> such as
> - Database
> - Network
> - Web
> - Vertical Industry Standards.
>
> However, XML is a technology that seems to encompass
> everything. Anyone can advise on how grouping should
> be
> made?

How familiar are the people in your company with XML, and how much are
they using it already?  Unless the answer to both questions is "very
much" I'd suggest starting with a purely plenary group and waiting to see
what specializations naturally emerge within the group.  At the early
stages it's probably best if everybody talks about and learns a little bit
of everything; once they're familiar with the forest, they'll have ideas
about what trees they're particularly interested in.

If the answer to both questions *is* "very much" then the people in your
company using XML are the best ones to answer your question.