   Defining SOAP Interfaces and web interface metadata.

  • From: "David Galbraith" <david@moreover.com>
  • To: "xmldev" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:59:39 -0700

In Defining SOAP interfaces, Edd Dumbill writes
 http://weblogs.oreillynet.com/edd/discuss/msgReader$77 ):

>Since the SOAP 1.1 specification was released there have been three
alternative proposals
>for languages to describe the interfaces that a SOAP endpoint can support.
>These proposals come from: IBM, as included in their SOAP4J toolkit;
Microsoft,
>who include such a language in their SOAP resource kit, and from James
Snell,
>an independent developer...

Does anyone have URL's for info about these?

>...For HTTP SOAP servers, it would be highly advantageous if a simple HTTP
GET were
>capable of retrieving all the necessary information...

>...My personal view is that investigation should be conducted into the use
of an RDF
>vocabulary for the interface definition, as it fulfils the requirements of
extensibility
>and modularity, as well as good support for linking and distribution of
subsidiary RDF descriptions...

This could not be limited to RPC calls but to standard cgi's as well (hence
posting here). A universal standard for the XML returned from a getMethods()
method based on RDF would surely make sense?

DG
David Galbraith - Chief Architect, founder
Moreover.com - the webfeed company
david@moreover.com
415-577-8828 (US)
0777-565-8880 (UK)