   RE: Defining SOAP Interfaces and web interface metadata.

  • From: "Ashvil" <ashvil@i3connect.net>
  • To: "xmldev" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 17:33:11 -0700

David wrote:
> In Defining SOAP interfaces, Edd Dumbill writes
>  http://weblogs.oreillynet.com/edd/discuss/msgReader$77 ):
>
> >Since the SOAP 1.1 specification was released there have been three
> alternative proposals
> >for languages to describe the interfaces that a SOAP
> Does anyone have URL's for info about these?

The only way that I know for the Microsoft spec. is to download the
SOAP toolkit
http://download.microsoft.com/download/vstudio60ent/stkvs/1.0.204/NT5/
EN-US/soaptk.exe

Open it using Winzip or pkzip to extract SDL.doc. Whew!

Abstract from SDL.doc
The Service Description Language (SDL) provides an XML-based grammar
for describing the capabilities of Web Services. SDL is designed to be
extensible, and consequently places few requirements on what must be
in a service description document. In particular, it provides an
extensible mechanism for defining the protocol group used to
communicate with the service (e.g., SOAP, HTTP-GET, and HTTP
FORM-POST), the schema(s) to be used with the service. This document
describes the grammar of SDL how to use it with SOAP, HTTP-GET, and
HTTP FORM-POST.

> This could not be limited to RPC calls but to standard
> cgi's as well (hence
> posting here). A universal standard for the XML returned
> from a getMethods()
> method based on RDF would surely make sense?

I agree on the need for a universal standard that could cover CGIs,
xml-rpc and SOAP. The SDL spec. seems to cover CGIs and SOAP.

I am not sure why the standard needs to be based on RDF a format that
1. Not many understand
2. Except the Netscape Channel format, I could not find any other real
world examples.

Our experience with IDLs (CORBA, COM, etc.) should be the starting
point.

Regards,
Ashvil