   Re: Future of Formatting Objects (XSL/FO)

  • From: Marcus Carr <mrc@allette.com.au>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:21:16 +1000

Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

> I assumed (by default) that the same was true of FOs. There would be some
> sorts of typography that couldn't be tackled this way and that we would
> have to use existing or other systems. I suspect that many people would not
> expect FOs to support the final typography for traditional printed books.

Perhaps it's just me or I missed some discussion, but I wasn't under that
impression at all.

> Anyway, at least we seem agreed that activity in this area is valuable,
> even if the challenges are very difficult.

Perhaps I haven't been clear - I'm not at all certain that they're valuable. I
can see some benefit in FO, but I have yet to be convinced that on balance, it's
a worthwhile endeavour.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@allette.com.au