   Re: Succeeded in using xerces1.1.1 to validate against a schema?

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:03:41 +0100

At 05:17 PM 6/15/00 -0400, Roger Costello wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>Has anyone been successful in using Xerces-1.1.1 (Java) to validate an
>XML document against an XML Schema (xsd file)?  I have tried:
>
>java dom.DOMCount personal-schema.xml
>
>as well as:
>
>java dom.DOMParser personal-schema.xml
>
>where personal-schema.xml is the sample XML document that comes with the
>download.  I was successful with neither.
>
>There seems to be numerous parsers provided with xerces - DOMCount,
>SAXCount, DOMParser, SAXParser.  Which one(s) are to be used for
>validating an XML document against an XML Schema?  My experience is that
>DOMCount seems to be only for validating an XML document against a DTD.
>True?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.  /Roger

I have just had to answer the same question! and found it tucked away on
the archives of the Xerces developers list. It only works with SAX. try:

>java sax.SAXCount -v personal-schema.xml

Which worked for me.

[I have been trying to learn the intricacies of schemas using this - but it
seems fairly fragile wrt errors in the schemas so try to make sure that
your schemas are "correct". ]

P.