   RE: Origins of XML

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: XML-Dev <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 08:08:00 -0500

Cat fights are always a good show.
Can we say, behavior attribute?. :-)
I am starting a web site where XML
newcomers can purchase a set of
ceramic letters "ISO SGML".  Before
every XML presentation they make,
they take a rubber mallet and smash
it then tell their audience they want
to get past the traditional bashing
quickly and get on to the good parts.
That has to be funnier than "SGML is just a
pain in the ass" as a recent speaker
here told his audience.

An overview should also include the period
when comp-text-sgml was in its heyday, the
CALS projects particularly Caporlette, Botticelli,
et al who slaved over the IETM specs specing and creating
most of the early functional server side SGML
databases, the Army work that put cheap
stylesheet-driven hypertext on a Windows
platform, the 28001 work on the FOSI, the
work in Europe on AECMA that incorporated
the best of the American efforts and provided
a really modular DTD, the earliest work on
Gencoding that kicked it all off, the papers
of deRose et al in the hypermedia publications,
etc, the long long long deliberations of the
SGML ISO working group who spent
years on the road before e-mail and lists
relieved the airlines of a bit of profit.

It was a long road to where developers accept
the use of markup technologies and some folks,
notably Charles Goldfarb and his collegues put away
wealth and advantage to ensure open systems.
We didn't get all of this for nothing.  Some
folks paid the price.  XML is a distillation
and before we get too enthralled with the
XML SIG and WG work, we have to remember we
started out with running code and smoother
consensus than any group in the short history
of the W3C.

And we still had to fight like cats.. must be
the fun part of design work and we love it.

Len Bullard
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h