   Re: MAINTENENCE: Re: OT: How can I search the archives?

  • From: "Rzepa, Henry" <h.rzepa@ic.ac.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 17:19:29 +0100

>Karl,
>
>	can you please let us know what the position is....
> >questions to ask. Rather than annoying everyone with questions that may have
>>been asked a million times before, I thought that I would search the
> >archives, but there does not seem to be a search page there.

For what its worth, the original archives are still up and well, and fully searchable
at http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/
The search software is  WebGlimpse, which is a flat file indexer rather
than robot.

The new archives, at eg http://xml.org/archives/xml-dev/2000/06/
do not have the root document set by default, so that one has to use
http://xml.org/archives/xml-dev/2000/06/index.html explicitly in order
to get eg a chronological list (or  eg http://xml.org/archives/xml-dev/2000/06/thread.html
for a threaded list). These do appear up to date, including postings from today.

Because these are currently not linked, its not possible for eg an external robot
to index the collection (I have done this remotely in the past using eg  htdig).
If this at least could be added, then a robot-induced index could be built, although
of course this would not update more than eg weekly.
--

Henry Rzepa. +44 (0)20 7594 5774 (Office) +44 (0)20 7594 5804 (Fax)
Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, London, SW7  2AY, UK.