   Re: More Parsers Questions

  • From: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
  • To: xml-dev@XML.ORG
  • Date: 16 Jun 2000 17:51:00 GMT

David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net> wrote:

>This test is classified as "error", meaning that some parsers _may_
>report errors (as below).

I don't see any justification for not classifying it as valid.

Certainly the entity is not well-formed, but since it is not referred
to it does not affect the well-formedness of the document.

>I seem to recall discussing related issues with several other parser
>writers.  Section 4.3.2 defines well formed entities, and 2.8 (para
>just before [30]) agree on the "markupdecl" aspect, which is good since
>optional text decls are key support for character encoding determination.

There is also erratum 13:

  To the paragraph before production [30], add "The external subset
  and any external parameter entities referred to in the DTD must
  match the production for extPE. See 4.3.2 Well-Formed Parsed
  Entities".

so there is a "must" (and note the wording: PEs *referred to* must
match extPE).

-- Richard

"The Internet is really just a series of bottlenecks joined by high
speed networks." - Sam Wilson