   Dangers to SAX?

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: XML Developers List <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:30:07 -0400

"Richard L. Goerwitz" wrote:

> Microsoft has been in the business of coopting open standards for a long
> time.  Right now much of higher ed is openly hostile to Microsoft for ap-
> parently working in good faith with MIT on integrating Kerberos with W2K
> and AD, then ultimately extending the protocol in a proprietary way, then
> (to top it all off) declaring the extension proprietary - and forcing ev-
> eryone who wants to use the specs on their extension to agree to nondis-
> closure.

Actually SAX2 allows them to do this anyway, without co-opting anything:
they can define their own features and properties and make them as
proprietary as they want, i.e.
"http://www.microsoft.com/sax/features/fire-up-magic-com-module".

That's not to say the Microsoft, or Oracle, or Sun, or IBM, or anyone
else couldn't screw SAX up, but we have put at least some basic safety
precautions in place by recognizing that people will want to provide
proprietary extensions and making it possible for them to do so.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/