   Re: FOs again

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@XML.ORG
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 09:23:25 +0100

Firstly,
	My main purpose in posting was to try to support the XSL-FO/FOP effort. It
looks as if this may be counterproductive since I seem to pointing in an
inappropriate direction :-). I take it as given that an XML working group
usually has a better perspective or where to go than I have...

At 12:32 AM 6/18/00 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>Peter Murray-Rust writes:
> > I particularly agree with the last two goals FOP is already almost usable
> > for some purposes - Michael Wright - working with Henry Rzepa has
written a
> > 60 page thesis in XML (about, and featuring, CML], transformed to XSL-FO
> > and rendered (in print) with FOP.
>
>I'd be interested to see a comparison between this 60 page document
>rendered with XSLFO/FOP, and the same document rendered using
>XML+CSS, and a good browser's print engine.

I think the main differences are that
	- XSL-FO provides paginated output, and supports page references.
	- XSL-FO does not require a browser, so can be used in batch mode for a
series of documents.
	- FOP implementers are responsive to the needs and views of members of
this list - most browser manufacturers are not and most CSS implementations
are incomplete.

>if `as good as Word' is the target, then the XSL FO team are *way* out
>of line in their work :-}

I didn't say it was the target of XSL-FO :-). It again simply meant to show
that FOP had already a useful functionality. However if stating this in
some way detracts from the effort, I'll refrain from further posting. Since
 some of use appear to be confused about the roles of XSL-FO and CSS, is
there a useful overview that could help us?

	P.

Peter Murray-Rust. (CML, VHG and XML-DEV)
CMLC and VirtualXML ConCourse: http://www.cmlconsulting.com/ [and XML demos]
CML http://www.xml-cml.org/
Virtual HyperGlossary http://www.vhg.org.uk/ [new website; has XML demos]