   RE: FOs again

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: greynolds@greynolds.com
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:01:31 -0500

Integrity meant that page boundaries were
preserved.  Fidelity meant that the look was
preserved, originally, inside a 1000dpi system.
So, guarantees of integrity were reasonable but
fidelity was hard to guarantee.  You are right
about the change bars.  If they wanted to use
these, then the requirements for fidelity go
up.   All in all, it was a dog eared way to
do what a document database could do a lot
better if the print version weren't the record
of authority.  But to do that, fidelity of the
interchange was required and then behavioral
fidelity became the issue.

Again, not easy once you get past a scrolling
monolith. HTML cut the Gordian knot, meaning, get
on with business without actually solving the
problems of name, location, and identity and
their involvement in the legal constitution of
a Record of Authority (ROAs justified PDF).

1.  Is this the formal name by which any instance
of this can be cited?

2.  Is this the absolute location of a provably
correct instance or copy of the thing named?

3.  Is the thing named the record of authority
and can I prove the named thing at this location
is the record of authority?

So, given that, do FOs help?  They should actually
if they restore page fidelity and
separate it from the issues of page integrity.  Fidelity
guarantees it IS the ROA; integrity guarantees it is
the location of the ROA.  The name is ONLY a citable
unique string for starting the process of determining
the behavioral fidelity of the process of guaranteeing
the first two.

Yes?  No?

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety