   Re: xslv updated

  • From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
  • To: ricko@geotempo.com
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 17:20:45 +0100 (BST)

Rick JELLIFFE writes:
 > In the current draft, one could treat both the cases above as
 > "multi-case"s, where your formatter provides the feedback to select the
 > correct sequence of areas, I think.  (Of course, there has to be some
 > check in place to make sure that an area toggled on here is not toggled
 > off elsewhere. But that is not difficult.)

I had not considered "multi-case" for this situation. If you think its
appropriate, thats interesting. Thank you, I will look again (I had
skimmed over it as being inapplicable)

 > For the first example, it would be possible also for XSL to specify it
 > declaratively (if they so extended XSL) to allow a
 > justification-if-more-than-one-line property.  Or you could specify this
 > property yourself, as an extension on top of standard XSL (which your
 > own formatter would understand).

I am not sure where that would end, but I take the point.

 > For the second example, I suppose for batch processing one could also
 > use the formatter's indexer and perl/XSLT to generate a document
 > containing the page number reference for every citation in the document,

yes, I see what you mean. It would take some thinking about, but it
would work

 > Have you sent in comments on this to the XSL FO group?

not per se, but these are not original or newly-raised concerns. I am
sure they have come up before.

Thanks for this; you make me feel again that there is hope in using XSL FO
as a foundation. The last few days have been dispiriting.[1]

Sebastian

[1] not as dispiriting as my failure to implement page wide spans
across multicolumn text.