   Re: xslv updated

  • From: AndrewWatt2000@aol.com
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 03:35:23 EDT

Amelia Lewis wrote:

> If you care to look at it, it's at:
>  http://www.mindspring.com/~alicorn/xslv/xslv.html
>
>  This includes some modifications, as well as an alternate vocabulary
>  based on CSS2, and perhaps a slightly more cogent explanation of how
>  it's to work.  It still isn't fleshed out much, sorry.  More later, if
>  it looks like a remotely reasonable thing to invest time in.

Amy,

I like your idea. I think there is a need for something simpler than XSL:FO
is likely to be.

That is not to say that XSL:FO should be discarded. Arguing by analogy, not
everyone needs an 18 wheeler to take their shopping home, something a little
more modest will meet the needs of many. The majority may have neither the
need nor resources to incur the capital and maintenance costs of the "all
encompassing" solution - which is what I guess XSL:FO, in a sense, will be.

Of the three definitions you suggest for XSLV I would favour the first: "XML
Stylesheet Layout Vocabulary". I think your third suggested name could be
safely discarded without loss to humankind. :)

As I was scanning your revised suggestion the thought popped into my mind,
why not just "translate" CSS into an XML-conformant version, maybe called
"XCSS", by analogy with the recently announced XHTML Recommendation. And a
few lines later I found your link to the "XCSS" namespace.

The concept of XCSS is something which I would guess must be (or should be)
on the W3C agenda. Does anybody know? Or, could it be that the XSL:FO focus
makes "XCSS" - or XSLV - a politically highly sensitive issue?

XSL:FO, if approved, will undoubtedly be a powerful solution. But it may well
not be a manageable solution for "the little guy". Something like XSLV or
XCSS may well have a place, perhaps in certain respects similar to the way
SAX has found a place as a practical solution to a practical problem, while
not being an official W3C standard.

It will be interesting to hear further discussion on your proposal.

Andrew Watt