   RE: schema parser limitations

  • From: "David Valera" <dvalera@pcl-hage.nl>
  • To: "'Lindsey McNerney'" <lindzer1@yahoo.com>, <XML-DEV@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:31:24 +0200

> I'm attempting to validate some sample XML documents
> against schemas using both the Oracle schema processor
> 0.9 and Apache's Xerces-J parser v1.1.1 and am not
> getting the expected results...When I validate the

Not all the XML schema parsers support the complete XML schema draft. Most
of them have just implemented part of it. I dont know about the ones you are
using, but I found XMLSpy to be the most advanced with the implementation of
the latest draft. You can download XMLSpy at htp://www.XMLSpy.com

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <schema>
>   <element name="StoreName">
>      <complexType>
>         <sequence>
>            <element name="StoreId" type="string"/>
> 	   <element name="StoreLocation" type="string">
> 	     <simpleType base="string">
> 	        <enumeration value = "USA"/>
> 		<enumeration value = "Europe"/>
> 	     </simpleType>
> 	    </element>
> 	 </sequence>
>       </complexType>
>    </element>
> </schema>

The <sequence> element is not needed here since that is already the default
in XML schema. You also specify a type for the storelocation element, and
then you define a simpletype enumeration for this element. The way you did
it is not correct. This XSD file should have been looking like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema">
  <xsd:element name="StoreName">
     <xsd:complexType>
           <xsd:element name="StoreId" type="xsd:string"/>
	   <xsd:element name="StoreLocation">
	     <xsd:simpleType base="xsd:string">
	        <xsd:enumeration value = "USA"/>
		<xsd:enumeration value = "Europe"/>
	     </xsd:simpleType>
	    </xsd:element>
      </xsd:complexType>
   </xsd:element>
</xsd:schema>

If you open your XML file with this XML schema in XMLSpy, you will get the
errors you expect.

I hope this helps

David Valera