   Re: xslv updated

  • From: Amy Lewis <amyzing@talsever.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:33:56 -0400

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 09:37:08PM -0400, Tony Graham wrote:
>At 18 Jun 2000 23:10 -0400, Amy Lewis wrote:
> > If you care to look at it, it's at:
> > http://www.mindspring.com/~alicorn/xslv/xslv.html
> >
> > This includes some modifications, as well as an alternate vocabulary
> > based on CSS2, and perhaps a slightly more cogent explanation of how
> > it's to work.  It still isn't fleshed out much, sorry.  More later, if
> > it looks like a remotely reasonable thing to invest time in.
>
>It seems to me to have a strong resemblance to the ideas proposed in
>the "Using XSL and CSS Together" W3C Note at
>http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-XSL-and-CSS

More now (or more planned now) than that original proposal.  However,
there is at least one significant difference, which is the mixin style
(the XLink pattern) of relying almost solely on attributes.  Creating a
"vocabulary" rather than a full fledged tree.  We already have a tree.
Properties map fairly naturally to attributes.  So let's run in that
direction, with an xcss: namespace composed purely (or at least as
purely as ivory soap) of attributes.  Apart from being slightly more
interesting as a pattern, it does less "violence" to the original
document, if you will.

I'm going to see if I can't dispense with the "container" element
altogether (using XPointers instead for grouping).  I don't see an easy
way to dispense with the decoration element, though ... and I suppose
we might even need text in order to do text insertion via stylesheet,
but I want to avoid even the semblance of creating a tree of formatting
objects.  I'd like to see the xslv/xcss proposal just apply styles to
what's already in the tree (and the best way to do that is staying
attribute oriented--although this means that it's completely
incompatible with SML, I suppose).

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis          alicorn@mindspring.com          amyzing@talsever.com
The flesh is strong.  The spirit stronger.  So shed your skin, baby.