   RE: Microsoft's Role in the XML Community (WAS RE: Important: The SAXC+

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: XML Developers List <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:27:47 -0500

My personal experience with MS public list behaviors is limited to
XML and VRML.  On the VRML list a few years back, that
particular set demonstrated a rueful arrogance.  It cost
them any support for what was actually a decent design,
just too late and introduced with too little forethought
to getting a consensus first.  In X3D, they showed up early
but either weren't being supported internally, or didn't
like the heat. Whatever, they weren't much help in getting
design consensus.  For some reason I cannot fathom, with
some of the best graphics folks in the world working for
them, they never have fielded an MS graphics application
worthy of the name.  Usually, they OEM them.  To me, that
suggests something about one particular group in one
particular company, probably in their management.

My experience in XML has been exactly the opposite.  Once
they decided that XML was important, Paoli was there pitching
in the beginning, then he sent in the tech troops and they
have been very responsive, very engaged and likable.  I've nothing
but respect for those aspects of their public behavior in this
community.  Again, it says something about one particular
group in one particular company, probably in their management.
Remember also, a lot of XML MS employees come from this
community and the one that preceded it (eg. Paoli, Denny-Brown).

Given the thread title, I think they fit their roles well in
XML, and fitness counts.

My point here is that individuals care about individuals
and that is the most important thing to establish and
nurture.  That was Yuri Rubinsky's outstanding skill
and with it, he knitted together a lot of very angst-ridden
folks, helping to hold us together until we had a hit.

That strategy will get you past most little problems and
usually starts the process to solving the big ones.  We
can't fix a corporate culture except by affecting corporate
behaviors, and that is the big game.  But the little game
by which we nurture and sustain a community of individuals,
the respect we show, the humor, the restrained affection,
that game will in the long term, have the longest lasting effects.

MS employees also want to belong to a greater family.  Jobs
change; technology changes, but you see the same players if
you stay in the same game long enough.  Yes, the people count.
MS employees know that even if their boss doesn't yet.  As to
who gets to set and profit by standards, those are two different
problems.  My guess is that less than 50 individuals are responsible
for most of the XML standards decisions making while a very much
larger number profit by it.  The journalist you cite has a very
narrow view of how it all works.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h

From: Wendell Piez [mailto:wapiez@mulberrytech.com]

That is, MS or any big entity might not care about any individual --
but maybe they *should*. <snip>

The same journalist who made the "MS invented XML" gaffe in the Washington
Post wrote again (I think a week ago), correctly identifying that the core
issue in the MS anti-trust litigation is, who gets to set (and profit from)
standards for emerging technologies.