   Re: xslv updated

  • From: James Robertson <jamesr@steptwo.com.au>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:29:53 +1000

At 20:34 19/06/2000, Rick JELLIFFE wrote:

>Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>
> > The trouble is,  to go back a week or so, there is insufficient
> > evidence that XSL FO *is* all-encompassing. If you reject it in favour
> > of XSLV for simple jobs, we have to be very sure that its up to the
> > really serious design/typesetting jobs. Which it does not appear to
> > me, and I am sure the XSL WG would agree that they have made
> > compromises already.
>
>I cannot find any posting that relates to this. I can see Marcus Carr's
>thread on whether FOs represent a good architectural approach, and also
>the recent one on what is the most appropriate level, and also one
>mentioning aural stylesheets.
>
>But nothing anywhere actually specifying any hard details. What features
>are missing from XSL-FO?  Perhaps Sebastian could give some details: I
>for one would find it useful to have some idea of what is missing or
>where they have gone wrong.

As an outsider, I have seen many discussions on
the XSL list regarding the limitations/problems with
XSL FO.

Running headers and footers spring to mind ...

But I'm not up on it all, so I would recommend
having a wander through the XSL list archive
(I think there is one).

James Robertson
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd
SGML, XML & HTML Consultancy
Illumination: an out-of-the-box Intranet solution

http://www.steptwo.com.au/
jamesr@steptwo.com.au