   Re: control characters

  • From: "Wayne Steele" <xmlmaster@hotmail.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:38:57 PDT

>The workaround I usually suggest is to represent control characters
>with (references to) characters from the Unicode private use range.
>This makes the necessary transformation a simple character
>substitution (which can even be just a subtraction - no need for a
>table).
>
>  -- Richard

Actually, as someone has already pointed out, 0x007F - 0x009F are fair game
for XML documents, and Unicode has these defined as control character
aliases.

Mapping 0x0000 - 0x001F to the private use area sounds like the "correct"
unicode thing to do, But for US-ASCII/UTF-8 documents I would map to 0x0080
- 0x009F instead.
This way you preserve the deprecated anglo centric english-only bigoted
assumption of 1 character == 1 byte.

The only downside is that someone might actually have data in this range. I
think this is about as likely as someone having data in the private use
area.

XSLT will not _ALWAYS_ give you a perfect output format.
XML --> XSLT --> simple_text_filter seems like a win to me.

-Wayne Steele