   RE: MSXML and XML-DR

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Michael Rys <mrys@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:19:58 -0500

Thanks Michael.  I appreciate the reply.  I finally
logged into Biztalk and have begun to read Dan Rogers'
mail on these and other subjects.  That should make
me a bit better informed and save some bandwidth
here on XML-DEV.  I've had to maintain markup like
a hobby for a few years and am rusty.

Again, XDR looks good for getting started.  I suspect
that as enterprises begin to work toward industry-wide
shareable definitions, the move to XML Schema becomes
more imperative but that until then, XDR works for putting
one foot in front of the other.  So far, my main problem
is that I can write a DTD without slowing down and have
to get used to this brave new world of property sets
for everything.

Other than IE5 not actually doing full validation,
this works.  The documentation may be a little misleading
with regards to that, or I misperceived the intent.
We jury-rigged a validation app using the MSXML object
and that works fine.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h

From: Michael Rys [mailto:mrys@microsoft.com]

Dear Len

In addition to Andrew's mail, let me add the following.

It is safe to say that we are currently not planning to get rid of XDR
(assuring backwards compatibility) and plan to provide support for
XML-Schema and a migration path from XDR to XML Schema. This is also what we
tell our customers.