   RE: control characters

  • From: Eldar Musayev <eldarm@microsoft.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 16:47:13 -0700

Out of context, you are right. However, it is still using something already
allocated, because 0x0080-0x009F are different control characters than
0x0000-0x001F. And, by the way, in some applications characters like
"break-permitted-here" or "no-break-here" should be even more popular than
national encodings.
On the other hand in this sense my note was also out of context. Within the
context of original question, original proposal to use private use range
sounds the correct one.

...quote

>The workaround I usually suggest is to represent control characters
>with (references to) characters from the Unicode private use range.
>This makes the necessary transformation a simple character
>substitution (which can even be just a subtraction - no need for a
>table).
>
>  -- Richard

Actually, as someone has already pointed out, 0x007F - 0x009F are fair game
for XML documents, and Unicode has these defined as control character
aliases.

Mapping 0x0000 - 0x001F to the private use area sounds like the "correct"
unicode thing to do, But for US-ASCII/UTF-8 documents I would map to 0x0080
- 0x009F instead.
This way you preserve the deprecated anglo centric english-only bigoted
assumption of 1 character == 1 byte.

The only downside is that someone might actually have data in this range. I
think this is about as likely as someone having data in the private use
area.

XSLT will not _ALWAYS_ give you a perfect output format.
XML --> XSLT --> simple_text_filter seems like a win to me.