   Re: Any parsers support multiple validation errors from validation?

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 19:21:52 -0400

Richard Tobin wrote:

> >Perhaps RTFM question, but I'd like to get multiple errors back from
> >validating a document.  Typical use case is where an address has an error in
> >the zip code and the telephone # fields, and I'd like to report both to the
> >user, not the first.  Ideally an XML Schema parser :-)
>
> I would expect all validating parsers to do this, at least by default.
> My parser (RXP) does, and so does our prototype schema validator.  There
> are some cases where this might not happen; for example it is probably
> best not to report the same undeclared element every time it occurs.

It's also important to note that the errors reported can become less and
less meaningful the further you go from the first error, because the
parser has more and more trouble figuring out what the context was
supposed to be.  You can see the same thing with C or C++ compilers,
where usually only the first two or three error messages are useful.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/