   Re: Any parsers support multiple validation errors from validation?

  • From: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:04:46 +0800

David Megginson wrote:

> Richard Tobin wrote:
>
> > >Perhaps RTFM question, but I'd like to get multiple errors back from
> > >validating a document.  Typical use case is where an address has an error in
> > >the zip code and the telephone # fields, and I'd like to report both to the
> > >user, not the first.  Ideally an XML Schema parser :-)
> >
> > I would expect all validating parsers to do this, at least by default.
> > My parser (RXP) does, and so does our prototype schema validator.  There
> > are some cases where this might not happen; for example it is probably
> > best not to report the same undeclared element every time it occurs.
>
> It's also important to note that the errors reported can become less and
> less meaningful the further you go from the first error, because the
> parser has more and more trouble figuring out what the context was
> supposed to be.  You can see the same thing with C or C++ compilers,
> where usually only the first two or three error messages are useful.

Schematron all its rule checks independently, so it can report multiple
errors.
Within a rule, an errror causing one pattern context to be matched will
mask off subsequent rules: this goes some way to preventing otiose error
reports.
 http://www.ascc.net/xml/resource/schematron/schematron.html

(However, of course, it is not an XML Schema system.)

Rick Jelliffe