   RE: Any parsers support multiple validation errors from validation?

  • From: "David Orchard" <orchard@pacificspirit.com>
  • To: "Richard Tobin" <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:43:16 -0700

I don't believe that they all do.  To quote the apache RevalidatingXMLParser
validate method:
"Given a node which is a DOM tree (or subtree), validate the tree against
the current DTD. If the tree is valid, return null. If the subtree is
invalid return the highest (closest to the root) and left most node which
causes the tree to be invalid."

The notion of revalidating is exactly the use-case that I have.  An XML
message has been sent from a client, and I want to validate it against an
internal schemata that I may or may not have disclosed to that client.  SOAP
message validation is a classic case of this where there is no doctype
declaration allowed in the message, yet I wish validation.  Even if a
doctype was allowed, I wouldn't trust my validation to the schemata defined
by the person sending the message!

Cheers,
Dave