   Re: Another Question

  • From: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • To: ",xml-dev" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 00:22:43 +0800

Olivier DUBUISSON wrote:

> Some tools can be found in the public domain (but less than the number
> of tools for XML, I agree).
> I'm not sure that freeness is a good argument. See for example UMTS
> (Third Generation mobile phones) where ASN.1 is used a lot. Do you
> think that equipment vendors or telcos can't afford an ASN.1 compiler
> when one knows that UMTS will cost more than GSM? Same for other
> application domains like RFID (Radio-Frequency IDentification),
> Intelligent transportation systems, Intelligent networks, etc.
> And what they buy is not only a parser, but a compiler that produces
> very efficient encoders/decoders?

Perhaps Olivier might like to give a URL for an introduction or spec to
ASN.1

It would be great to get a nice comparison list made, together with some
tests to compare transmission times or decoding times for XML,
compressed XML versus ASN.1

As I mentioned before, I wonder to what extend ASN.1 can be used as a
transmission/compression format for XML.  To what extent is the
efficiency an artifact of having a fixed schema (indeed, is this true of
ASN.1? does one need to have a fixed tagset in order to compile it?).
If ASN.1 does not have a namespace mechanism or a DOM or an Xpath
equivalent, it would make more sense to layer it underneath XML
initially.

Rick Jelliffe