   Re: Another Question

  • From: Olivier DUBUISSON <Olivier.Dubuisson@francetelecom.fr>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 14:09:43 +0000

http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr
http://www.oss.com
http://www.asn-1.com

> As I mentioned before, I wonder to what extend ASN.1 can be used as a
> transmission/compression format for XML.

It surely can.

> To what extent is the
> efficiency an artifact of having a fixed schema

I don't understand.

> (indeed, is this true of
> ASN.1? does one need to have a fixed tagset in order to compile it?).

No, encoder/decoders can be produced "on the fly" (interpreted) and
ASN.1 can manage extensibility.

> If ASN.1 does not have a namespace mechanism or a DOM or an Xpath
> equivalent, it would make more sense to layer it underneath XML
> initially.

I don't know XML enough, but it seems to me that if you have an URN
resolver for object identifiers (OIDs), you have an unique way to
reference any ASN.1-defined type. Does this answer your question?
(BTW there is a draft RFC about URN and OIDs: see
draft-mealling-oid-urn-00.txt)
--
Olivier DUBUISSON
france telecom R&D