   RE: SQL Schema to XML Schema generator [any out there?]

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: xml-dev@XML.ORG
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 08:11:44 -0500

That was the point.  With X-Spy, it opened the
table but as it had no data, did not enable
the schema generator.  There may be some magic
command that allows that but I haven't found
it yet.

How would it get foreign key information?  While
one does declare primary keys, foreign keys aren't
declared AFAICT in many schema design tools.  One
does usually find a description field and if the
designer does a professional job, they may include
the role of the field value in the overall design,
eg, a key to a table named nnnnn.

In any event, how far do people propose a schema
generator can get reverse engineering out of an
instance?  It appears to me that critical information
is missing, so while it is an excellent place to
start, I think one still has to tighten up afterwards.
That makes me think that an ideal toolkit provides
both a means to reverse engineer, then an editor for
cleanup and restructuring.  BTW, I'm not looking
for ads here because I can find the tools, just noting
some generic features I think one should consider
when making recommendations to companies or individuals
who want to build up their kits.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com