   RE: Microsoft's Universal Canvas

  • From: "Ashvil" <ashvil@i3connect.net>
  • To: <xml-dev@XML.ORG>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:11:23 -0700

Len wrote :
> Who will do it best, is one issue, but it isn't a
> far fetched notion at all.

Glad to hear that. Since Microsoft owns most of Document authoring
with Office, they have the a good shot at making it happen, especially
with Smart Tags to enable XML authoring.

> specifically.  Papers have been written on such
> for at least a decade (enterprise engineering).

Any pointer to papers dealing with the User Experience side would be
greatly appreciated.

> Now that most of these are non-issues, the universal
> canvas becomes tangible.  It will be interesting to
> see how easily such environments are managed and
> administrated.   Part of the costs that must be
> maintained are the long term configurations.  In
> other words, plug and play may be a lot tougher.

Another way of looking at this is moving away file management concept
and into more of a information management problem. We could have
shared information in Information trees or graphs stored on some
server in cyberspace (Sounds like the web, will need to resolve those
pesky 404 errors ;-). We could drag and link the information to create
the document/view we need. Information sources will have to be more
well defined and information storage would have to learn to store and
query semi structured data.

Regards,
Ashvil