   RE: Namespace for a collection of related schemas?

  • From: Matthew Fuchs <matthew.fuchs@commerceone.com>
  • To: "'Roger L. Costello'" <costello@mitre.org>, w3c-xml-schema-wg@w3.org, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:40:44 -0700

Roger,

This was a very important issue for us at CommerceOne when we created SOX,
as we anticipate many such related schemas.  However, we didn't think it was
one that the schema language itself needed to address directly, yet.  We
recommend a pattern which does allow for later language support, though.
Basically, this is to organize your schemata in a tree, as would be the
preferred structure for any programming language.  In your case, you would
want the following schemas:

http://www.mitre.org/schemas/auto/truck.xsd
http://www.mitre.org/schemas/auto/suv.xsd
http://www.mitre.org/schemas/auto/minivan.xsd
http://www.mitre.org/schemas/auto/sedan.xsd

etc.

If there happened to be some common elements for all autos, you could also
do:

http://www.mitre.org/schemas/auto.xsd

If you further wished to distinguish between cars and trucks, then you could
make the intervening levels.  In SOX, of course, we do this with URNs.

Matthew