   Question about DTD

  • From: "Erwan Le Pabic" <elepabic@webedisoft.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:53:10 +0200

Hi,

I would like to build the DTD of an XML document I receive in order to valid
other documents of the same type I will receive later. For example :

<ORDER>
   <CUSTOMER>
      <IDENT>
		<SURNAME>AAA</SURNAME>
		<FIRSTNAME>BBB</FIRSTNAME>
      </IDENT>
   </CUSTOMER>
   <PRODUCT>
      <IDENT>CCC</IDENT>
   </PRODUCT>
</ORDER>

I think the DTD of the previous document seems to be like that:

<!DOCTYPE ORDER [
<!ELEMENT ORDER (CUSTOMER,PRODUCT)>
<!ELEMENT CUSTOMER (IDENT)>
<!ELEMENT PRODUCT (IDENT)>
<!ELEMENT IDENT (SURNAME, FIRSTNAME) | (#PCDATA)>
]

But later if I receive another document like this one :

<ORDER>
   <CUSTOMER>
      <IDENT>AAA</IDENT>
   </CUSTOMER>
   <PRODUCT>
      <IDENT>
		<SURNAME>BBB</SURNAME>
		<FIRSTNAME>CCC</FIRSTNAME>
	</IDENT>
   </PRODUCT>
</ORDER>

it will be validated but I don't want it because it has no sens

Am I missing something or is there no solution for this problem with DTD ?

Thank you for answering.

Erwan.