   RE: Default Namespaces - why don't they apply to attributes?

  • From: Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@hotmail.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 00:29:15 +0000 (CEST)

Leigh Dodds wrote:
> [...]

It's also important to note that the purpose of XML namespaces is to allow
applications to uniquely identify names. If an attribute is unprefixed, it
doesn't really matter whether it's in the namespace of its corresponding
element or not -- the application can still identify it because it knows the
corresponding element and it knows what namespace that element is in.

Put another way, an application can uniquely identify an element because XML
namespaces apply to elements. The application can then uniquely identify an
unprefixed attribute of that element because the element "applies" to that
attribute. Thus, whether the attribute is "in" the namespace is irrelevant
for purposes of identifying it.

By the way, I would be really curious to see any applications for which
knowing of an attribute is "in" a namespace -- as opposed simply identifying
the attribute -- is important. I can't think of any, but maybe I'm just
unimaginative.

-- Ron Bourret