   Re: XML-Schemas: purpose of elementFormDefault?

  • From: Francis Norton <francis@redrice.com>
  • To: Roger Costello <costello@mitre.org>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 00:02:32 +0100

Roger Costello wrote:

> Now I can explain where I am confused:
>
> [1] Does this mean that only the global element (BookCatalogue) gets
> validated, and not the local elements (Book, Title, Author, Date, ISBN,
> Publisher)?  If so, why would you ever want to do that - what's the
> value of the schema in such a case?

Remove the DTDs and you can successfully schema-validate your doc at
Henry Thompson's online validator, xsv
(http://www.w3.org/2000/06/webdata/xsv). I carefully swapped two of the
book elements round in your sample doc, and xsv gave me the following
message:

Problems with the schema-validity of the target

http://www.workspot.net/~roundand/xml/s.xml:9:17: Invalid per
cvc-complex-type.1.2.4: element {None}:Publisher not allowed here in
element {None}:Book:

http://www.workspot.net/~roundand/xml/s.xml:11:9: Invalid per
cvc-complex-type.1.2.4: content of Book is not allowed to end here:

Which I take to mean that using elementFormDefault="unqualified" simply
says that schema definitions apply to elements in the "" namespace,
referred to as "{none}" in the above error message. So your document is
totally correct, it's just your suspicion that unqualified elements
wouldn't be validated that's unfounded!

Francis.
--
Francis Norton.