   Re: XML-Schemas: purpose of elementFormDefault?

  • From: Roger Costello <costello@mitre.org>
  • To: XML-DEV@xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 16:39:26 -0400

Francis Norton wrote:

> Which I take to mean that using elementFormDefault="unqualified" simply
> says that schema definitions apply to elements in the "" namespace ...

Thanks a lot Francis.  This raises many more questions...

Consider the following spec for a schema and instance document:
Schema:
targetNamespace = "A"

global element declarations = GE1, GE2, ...
local element declarations = LE1, LE2, ...

global type definitions = GT1, GT2, ...
local type definitions = LT1, LT2, ...

Instance Document:
namespace declaration = xmlns:q="A"
Scenario 1: the schema declared elementFormDefault="qualified"

   here's how to use the global elements in the instance document:
       <q:GE1>, <q:GE2> ...

   here's how to use the local elements in the instance document:
       <q:LE1>, <q:LE2> ...

Scenario 2: the schema declared elementFormDefault="unqualified"

   here's how to use the global elements in the instance document:
       <q:GE1>, <q:GE2> ...

   here's how to use the local elements in the instance document:
       <LE1>, <LE2> ...

Questions:

(Assuming that I have correctly interpreted the spec and
the above is correct.)

I conclude from the above that the value of elementFormDefault
determines whether local elements/types are associated with
the namespace specified by targetNamespace.
That is, if elementFormDefault="unqualified" then only the
global elements/types are associated with the namespace, i.e.,

Elements, Types associated with the namespace A:
GE1, GE2, ..., GT1, GT2, ...

The local element/types are associated with no namespace

If elementFormDefault="qualified" then both the global
elements/types and local elements/types are associated
with the namespace, i.e.,

Elements, Types associated with the namespace A:
GE1, GE2, ..., GT1, GT2, ..., LE1, LE2, ..., LT1, LT2, ...

Is this correct?  This seems very strange indeed.  It was my
understanding that the all the elments/types in the schema
(local and global) are associated with the namespace specified
by targetNamespace. Can someone please shed light on this?
/Roger