   Re: Various presentations, schema concepts, etc.

  • From: "KenNorth" <KenNorth@email.msn.com>
  • To: "Matt Sergeant" <matt@sergeant.org>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 01:51:18 -0700

> From reading your presentation slides Ken, I'm glad I won't be the one
> defining where the line should be between putting things in the XML
> schema, the DBMS schema and the application classes ;-)

That's easy. Put the schema diagram on the wall. Close eyes. Throw dart.

AFAIK, the terms "schema" and "sub-schema" originated from the work of the
CODASYL Data Base Task Group (DBTG) in the late '60s and early '70s. The
logical model of the database was sets and sub-schemas defined the
parent-child (owner-member) relationships. You traversed the sets in a
manner similar to DOM tree walking. You generated a schema, wrote
sub-schemas for various programming languages, and then bound them to
application code for compile-time type checking.

That development paradigm was procedural and process-oriented. The industry
has since moved to object-orientation, and I think we're about to make the
next great leap -- declarative programming. We'll express rules and
constraints instead of designing processes or objects.