   Re: Various presentations, schema concepts, etc.

  • From: "Manola,Frank A." <fmanola@mitre.org>
  • To: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 12:25:49 -0400

Kay Michael wrote:

> > AFAIK, the terms "schema" and "sub-schema" originated from
> > the work of the CODASYL Data Base Task Group (DBTG) in the late '60s and
> > early '70s.
>
> For the record, I think DBTG took the concepts (I'm not sure about the
> terminology) from Honeywell's IDS database system developed in the mid
> 1960s. Charlie Bachmann was a key player in both.
>
> Mike Kay

My understanding is that what DBTG took from IDS was its data
structuring concepts, records and the "set" (owner/member record
relationship).  I believe the concepts of schema and subschema were
extensions introduced during the course of DBTG's work (my recollection
is that Tax Metaxides, the DBTG Chairman, had a lot to do with
introducing these concepts).