   RE: Playing with XML Schema & XSLT

  • From: johns@syscore.com (John F. Schlesinger)
  • To: "'Jean-Marc Vanel'" <jmvanel@free.fr>, <xml-dev@xml.org>, <wwbota@egroups.com>, <daniel.rivers-moore@rivcom.com>, <Ioana.Manolescu@inria.fr>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:17:41 -0400

Jean-Marc wrote:
"About that, I regret that the first example in the introduction to XML
Schema has a tag <shippingDate> , and not <shipping><date>, which is
extendible, and allows machine understanding."

Personally, I don't think using <date> as the name for an element of type
date adds much to the semantics of the document or message. Usually a date
has some meaning - in this case I would look to use <WhenShipped> or
<WhenLoaded> or <WhenLanded> or <WhenUnloaded> or <WhenToShip> etc.

As for helping the machine, why not use a schema that tells the machine this
is an element of type date, rather than making the machine guess the type
from the name?

Isn't <shipping> a rather odd name for an element? It seems to be more a
general concept than a particular thing (like, say, <Shipment>)?

Yours,
John F Schlesinger
SysCore Solutions
212 619 5200 x 219