   RE: XML across varied Servers

  • From: Anthony Marino <anthony@nlink.com>
  • To: "'Joshua Allen '" <joshuaa@microsoft.com>, "''Narayanan, Ramesh' '" <RNarayanan@panasonicfa.com>, "''xml-dev@xml.org' '" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 23:21:52 -0500

 Check sonicMQ out.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Allen
To: 'Narayanan, Ramesh'; 'xml-dev@xml.org'
Sent: 7/6/00 9:03 PM
Subject: RE: XML across varied Servers

MQSeries and MSMQ are the best way to move XML documents
asynchronously.  However, there are many other ways you
can accomplish asynchronous transfer of XML documents.

Some possibilities:
* Set up a file share on NT, use samba on UNIX to
 place the file on the share.  Use NT "at" scheduler
 to periodically check for and process new files.
 If going from NT to UNIX, use cron.

* Drop xml files on an NFS-shared volume and use
 NT SFU to grab from UNIX periodically.

* Use FTP to push or pull the files periodically.

* Use SMTP (some sort of command-line sendmail utility
 on UNIX) to send the file, use CDO on NT to read the
 messages from e-mail periodically.

* Use a database-access library on UNIX to stuff
 the XML documents in rows in a relational database
 (SQL Server, DB2, etc. -- whatever you have).
 Use ADO on the NT side to pull out records as they
 arrive.

There are many, many ways that you can accomplish
asynchronous transfer of XML documents -- those are just
a few.  When you write your own, though, think hard
about how your system will behave in failure situations,
concurrency, etc.  With the last option I mentioned
(database), at least you get serialization, transactional
control on reads and writes, and so on.  If you are doing
your own scheme with FTP, what happens for example if
the connection gets dropped partway through transfer?
You have to write quite a bit of plumbing yourself; that
is why message queuing software is so popular; you get
all that stuff for free.

Joshua Allen
Microsoft eBusiness West Region
"No challenge can withstand the assault of sustained thinking" -
Voltaire