   RE: Contracts & Acceptence Testing. Re: IE5 and UTF-8

  • From: Lucio Piccoli <Lucio.Piccoli@one2one.co.uk>
  • To: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:58:05 +0100

thanks for your response Rick,

> If you need to be able to pin down the specific encoding problem, some
> extra info would be helpful:
>  - Can you tell us what the particular UTF-8 encoding error is?

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Character conversion error: "Unconvertible
UTF-8 character beginning with 0x96" (line number may be too low).

>  - Could you open the same document in IE5?

yeah.

>  - when you say "send" do you mean over HTTP? if so, are the senders
> setting the correct charset parameter in the HTTP header.  If
> not, does the document have no encoding declaration or one that explictly
says
> "UTF-8"?

Nope. The HTTP headers do not contain the UTF-8 charset attribute, but why
is that a problem? Does the parser read the HTTP headers to determine the
encoding? Shouldn't it simply stream the content body?

> If you can capture the data and send a hex dump (if you have
> a GNU/UNIX system you can use  "od -tcxC filename") of the offending
fragment, that would be useful.

my hex editor does the same.
sequence  20 96 20.
So from the UTF-8 spec 0x96 is way beyond 0x7F.

So do i have a case for telling my supplier to correctly validate his
documents?

thanks

-lucio

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: