   RE: IE5 and UTF-8

  • From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
  • To: "'Lucio Piccoli'" <Lucio.Piccoli@one2one.co.uk>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:27:24 +0100

> My problem is to convince them that IE5 is not the correct
> tool to validate
> XML docs. I have tried to locate articlea that indicate the conformant
> levels of IE5, but failed. I have found the articles that Tim Bray has
> written on IE5 but they don't highlight specific UTF-8
> handling issues.

I have also found on a current project a database full of so-called XML
files that use iso-8859-1 encoding without saying so, and which MSXML seems
to process quite happily. Last time I suggested on this list that Microsoft
seemed to be auto-detecting the encoding, they denied it. Perhaps they just
pass the bytes through transparently, I don't know. But it's certainly true
that documents can get through MSXML and fail on other parsers (and
unfortunately users tend to draw the wrong conclusion from this). In
fairness, there is a let-out clause in the XML standard that allows a parser
to infer the encoding from external factors.

Mike Kay