   Default DTD URI

  • From: "Sarveshwar Rao Duddu" <duddu@vsnl.com>
  • To: "Xmldev" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 21:59:12 +0530

Hi,

I have an application where one machine sends an XML document to another.
This XML document contains some commands to be executed. The second machine
has to read the document, and after finding exactly what is to be done, send
the response to the first (in XML).
The problem is like this: the server (accepting commands in XML) has a
well - published DTD. So all documents sent by client must conform to this.
If the XML document contains ELEMENT or ATTLIST declarations, then the
server will have to do extra job of checking whether that is canonically
equivalent to predefined DTD. I want to avoid this, so I have a rule - no
ELEMENT, ATTLIST declarations permitted in the document sent by client. But
there is another problem: if an XML parser has to check whether input is
correct, it should have a DTD (internal or external). Internal has been
ruled out, so external is the only way. But then I will have to tell the
client the name/URI of the dtd file which contains the dtd on the server.
This again is not a good solution (not permanent).

So the question is: In case the user has not given a DTD file name or
specified the DTD in internal subset, can the XML processor assume one on
its own. May be the standard does not allow it, but does any of many XML
parsers available have such functionality.

Regards,
Sarv