   RE: Default DTD URI

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>, Xmldev <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:48:29 -0500

If the FPI is system independent, it should
name the expectations of both the sender and
the receiver.  Otherwise this is a laissez faire
communication.  That is perfectly acceptable since
both parties are responsible for limiting the
risks of using their respective systems. They
must specify the records of authority for
declining or accepting risk.

Recommending against using DTDs or schemas
for validation advocates removing a means to limit
risks.  Implementations that do not enable
using standard means to contract for limiting
the risk are poor implementations.  Any system
regardless of using DTDs or schemas depends on
the power of the implementation.

There is a responsibility to ensure applications
meet testable criteria that define the means.
Because the W3C does not define such testing,
organizations such as NIST pick up the task.
What this means is that the recommendations for
which applications are safe to use or risk
aversive must come from outside the consortia.
These organizations become responsible for the
records of authority for these systems, not
the consortia.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com