   Re: element order restrictions?

  • From: Robin LaFontaine <robin@monsell.co.uk>
  • To: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson), glen.albert@autodesk.com
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:10:52 +0100

Henry,

A related question: is it possible in XML Schema to distinguish
between the case where the order of the element instances is
important (significant) and where it is not?

For example, clearly for a list of points denoting a shape, the order
of the points is important. But for a set of points representing
possible target positions, the order is not important.

Another example: in XML Schema the definition of the elements in a
choice can be given in any order, but in a sequence the order is
significant.

This distinction is very important in many data files and it would be
good to be able to indicate this in an XML Schema, but I do not think
it is possible.

Robin

At 11:22 am +0100 10/7/00, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>If I understand your design correctly, what you need is
>
>   <element name="CoordGeom">
>           <complexType>
>             <choice minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded>
>                 <element ref="Line"/>
>                 <element ref="Curve"/>
>                 <element ref="Spiral"/>
>             </choice>
>           </complexType>
>   </element>
>
>ht
>--
>  Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of Edinburgh
>          W3C Fellow 1999--2001, part-time member of W3C Team
>     2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LW, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
>	    Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk

Robin La Fontaine, Monsell EDM Ltd
(R&D Project Management, Engineering Data Exchange using XML, EDIF)
Tel: +44 1684 592 144 Fax: +44 1684 594 504 or +44 870 054 2811
Email: robin@monsell.co.uk       http://www.monsell.co.uk