   RE: Different schemas....

  • From: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
  • To: 'Pamela Rais' <pamela.rais@tridion.com>,"'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:53:13 -0700

Title: Different schemas....
XML-Data was a first attempt at doing this, before the XML-Schema
effort took off.  Since MS wants to fully support XML-Schema when
it is ratified, XDR was developed as a simplified XML-Data that will
be easy to migrate to XML-Data.  I think of XDR as the lowest
common denominator of schema that you can use today if you
need to ship products right away.

One other benefit of XDR, the spec is incredibly simple; you
can probably read and understand it in 30 min.  XML-Schema
will do everything that XDR can do and more.  You will not lose
any work when you move from bare-bones XDR to the much
richer XML-Schema.  In fact, converting from XDR to XSD can
be done automatically with just an XSLT stylesheet.

Of course, right now your best options will depend on whatever
your parser supports for validation.  One fairly cool utility is
Which will do XML structure validation in a unique way,
and is not dependent on any particular parser (it works
atop XSLT).

For the XDR spec, check out: