   RE: URI concerns continue

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: michaelm@netsol.com, John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:57:01 -0500

So, the naming system contract:

1.  Requires the host to guarantee global uniqueness
(which may fail but since when are bugs obsolete)

2. Is all names and a part of the name is NOT a locator
but a means to determine a part (membership - iow, if
it says where in the set, it is a locator).

3.  Might enable resolution but does not guarantee it.

>Plus the semantics and policies surrounding URI schemes are less
>stringing which allows for different namespaces (not XML namespaces but
>spaces of identifiers) to be engineered for different reasons.

I don't get that "stringing" part. Stringent?  An example may be clarifying.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram