   RE: URI concerns continue

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:31:15 -0500

No contest.  If the superstition becomes reliable practice,
it is no longer a superstition.  It seems to me that
proposals changed along the way.  I had the namespace
discussion with David Megginson when they were proposed
and I was assured and others were assured repeatedly
that the use of the URwhich string was specifically
and only to have a disambiguating prefix.  At that
time, I stated that the users would trust their own
experience that any string beginning with http:// would
be marshalled, made blue, underlined, and become
clickable just as the one I just typed did.  It
won't resolve (incomplete), but it will click.  Given
that, they would have a hard time with any other
expectations.  So far, that is about right.

Remember folks, most users can't and don't read
RFCs to discover implementation minutiae.  They simply
trust the system they use every day and blame the
vendor if things aren't as expected.  We are the
loosely coupled control between them and frustration.

The thread on FPIs is not meant to change the design
but to point out that the use of these in a DOCTYPE
along with the system identifier is clear and the
expected behavior is clear.  That there is not a
100% guarantee for any resolution service is beside
the point because the contract can state the
probability and we do that every day in other
contracts for things such as system performance,
eg, time to return on a specific transaction.  At the
very least, I can name something without fear of it
being made blue, underlined, and become clickable.

So it appears at this time that the user of the
FPI and system identifier has a clearer contract
and the FPI comes closer to describing a workable
namespace.  The problem is that guaranteeing
persistence and global uniqueness has to be made
in systemic terms and FPIs have no system to guarantee
that whereas URIs do (DNS).

I am having a hard time working out what the user
of the URI namespace can expect.  So far, they are
clearly able to disambiguate names in aggregate
instances.

Yes it is complicated.  One has to wonder about
all the hype on B2B, B2C, etc. in a system that
doesn't seem to provide clear contracts for
behaviors.  This thread is at least educating
me as to the thinking if not the clarity of
agreement.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h

From: Simon St.Laurent [mailto:simonstl@simonstl.com]

The 'superstition' is much more broadly understood (and used) than the
purported fact.

Common URL usage has bred a widely shared set of assumptions in communities
which frequently lack any interest in URI philosophy.

I'm not convinced that the understanding of strings beginning with things
like http, ftp, mailto, file, and other commonly encountered strings known
to identify retrieval protocols in URLs is 'wrong', whatever RFC2396 may
claim.

It certainly complicates matters, however.