   RE: Microsoft's DISCO proposal and XML packaging

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:59:18 -0500

My system won't let me have the SCL document, so I
can't look at that right now.  The rest of this is
interesting for contract based services.  Does SCL
include negotiation or does it only enable a contract for a
pre-specified service with non-negotiable terms?
IOW, to what degree and by what means can a service
be customized?

Since I don't have the schema for the discovery
vocabulary, I can't assume much about the typing
of the links defined for it.  They appear to be
simple links.  They don't appear to be controversial
with regard to an XLink definition but I may be
missing something.  I agree that XLink specification
is useful but given the paucity of implementations,
may not be that useful at this time and they may
want to move forward.

On the surface, this appears to define a clear
algorithm for the discovery behavior insofar as
the service can be found, and a means to bind to
some part of that.  Further, it provides a means
to specify the binding if it is known apriori
(without opening the document).

So, they seem to be trying to define very basic
discovery system similar to the kind of metaphor
used by objects that provide a basic interface by
which further interfaces can be "discovered".  That
is pretty much in accordance with the early papers
on enterprise engineering for distributed systems.

Probably a good start and insightful with regards
to establishing a semantic for establishing a
contract.  Since I can't read SCL, it isn't possible
to see how deep this goes.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h

From: Simon St.Laurent [mailto:simonstl@simonstl.com]

Some sort of discovery mechanism, possibly though not necessarily using
HTTP, seems very much in order, however, and I hope this proposal moves
discussion forward.