   Re: Mechanics of mapping relational data into XML

  • From: Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@hotmail.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:35:17 +0000 (CEST)

Matt Sergeant wrote:
>On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Jerry Murray wrote:
>

> > I would like to get some suggestions for the mechanics of mapping
>relational
> > data into XML for situations where the mapping requires grouping of
>data.
>
>There was an article about exactly this sort of thing in an old (about a
>year or 18 months ago) Web Techniques. Unfortunately I can't find it right
>now - but you might be able to search the archives at
>www.webtechniques.com. Basically it worked out the XML structure based on
>your JOIN's (using ANSI SQL joins). Maybe Ken North knows where/when the
>article was?

There's a number of good articles out there -- try the advanced natural
language search for xml, dbms, and database. I think the article Matt is
referring to is "SQL-Based XML Structured Data Access" [1], which talks
about the relationship between hierarchies in relational databases and the
hierarchical structure of XML.

-- Ron Bourret

[1] http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/1999/06/david/