   Re: Hmmm ...

  • From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 01:09:00 -0500

Tony Pelton wrote:

> -- snip --
>
> Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at
> org.apache.xerces.utils.StringPool.ensureCapacity(StringPool.java:181)
>         at org.apache.xerces.utils.StringPool.addSymbol(StringPool.java:410)
>         at org.apache.xerces.utils.StringPool.<init>(StringPool.java:145)
>         at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.<init>(XMLParser.java:250)
>         at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.<init>(DOMParser.java:223)
>         at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Native Method)
>         at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:241)
>         at com.spark.XMLUtil.getParser(XMLUtil.java:532)

There is actually a Xerces support list that might be better, but....

I remember noticing that Xerces throws null pointer exceptions "on
purpose" and then catches them rather than checking for null explicitly.
Perhaps your program works great on the command line but suddenly gives
you problems in the debugger? That might be because your debugger is
reporting the error to you before Xerces has a chance to catch and fix
it. I remember this being a headache when I really needed to find a null
pointer exception in some code.

Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html