   RE: Patterns - What is it?

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>, ",XML Developers List" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:02:38 -0500

When I see that, if I weren't also a
documentWonk, I would say that is the
structure for a jazz composition in which
the head is played strictly as it establishes a
theme, and the body is played once according
to score and is improvised after that.

Head/Body can be compared to other forms
in pop such as Verse/Chorus/Verse/Bridge/Chorus
and so forth.  Many interesting design
patterns cross over into different media
and while each may have some different
semantic, the commonality is interesting
and illuminating to the creative process.

One might say HTML is a jazz of markup;
well-defined but loosely structured and
capable of rendering many styles as a
result.  On the other hand, hard to
predict and sometimes bizarre in the
final rendering.  Ultimately, one
chooses the level of formality required
and plays to the local audience.

Don't Play Bach When They Came To Boogie.

Len

http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h